Friday, September 15, 2017

Recognition

Recognition - the positive kind - is always welcomed. Who among us does not enjoy a pat on the back? And when it happens in front of others, often times that makes it all the more sweet. I mention this because just recently my blog was named as one of the top 30 blogs on communication on the entire Internet by Feedspot. In fact, to be exact, it was ranked number 7. I am as pleased at this as I was surprised when I learned of this unexpected honor. Thank you, Feedspot. I began doing this blog in 2008 as a simple venue in which I could talk about a subject of extreme importance to me. I had no expectations as to what kind of or how much of an audience I would attract. Even now, I have no idea as to the size of my readership.

Still, I love the fact that the topic of communication remains worthy of such public assessment and interest. It is a vital topic and act that often determines the difference between successful and unsuccessful interaction. Despite that, its level of importance continues not to be as embraced by the general public as well as it should. The reason, in my view, is simple. Any one can do it, so, the reasoning goes, what's the big deal? Big deal indeed. Show me a sucessful marriage and I will show you two people who communicate well. Show me effective interaction between a doctor and a patient and I will show you two successful communicators. And so it goes.

Communication spells the difference between happiness and resentment, inclusion and exclusion, and   engagement and isolation. There is simply too much at stake for us not to take communication seriously as a social science and act between individuals and groups. The fact "Why Communication Matters" is part of that makes me proud. Who knows? Maybe the nearly one thousand entries have even helped make a difference is some one's life. That's a nice thought. Either way, I plan to keep doing what I can in the name of a topic that remains bigger than any of us.

No comments: